The above photo is an interesting depiction of a San Francisco Chinese herb shop and dispensary. It is human nature to over-value exotic herbs when in reality, our most potent and useful medicinal plants are growing right in our own country. They are fresher, cheaper and just as potent. Scarceness is too often how we gauge desirability! Western herbal traditions are often treated as the poor cousin to the the Eastern Chinese protocols. Do this at your own peril!
One plant that has been over-looked in this regard is what we Midwesterners call a hedge tree. I have long adored this unique American Midwestern tree, Osage Orange ((Maclura pomifera. It is my sacred tree. I have many of these trees growing naturally on my farm. It never appears to die. It is unaffected by insect pests, fungi, viral, or bacterial blights. Its dead wood never decays in the short term. Fence posts can easily last 50 years out in the open. This tree contains an anti-microbial essence unique and long lasting! It is very similar to the olive tree in this regard, and we all know how medicinal the olive tree has been throughout history! I would like to suggest to you that America's Osage Orange tree is no less spectacular in its healing properties-not to be overlooked in systemic fungal or other anti-microbial syndromes. It is North America's answer to the South American Lapacho or Pau d'Arco tree.
Modern researchers are scrutinizing many of the compounds in the Osage Orange. One of the active compounds is Tetrahydroxystilbene (THS) which shows significant anti-fungal activity and probably is the one we are most interested in. It is also known as a Resveratrol analog. That name should ring a bell with most of you! Resveratrol (3,5,4'-trihydroxy-trans-stibene), a phytoalexin present in grapes, peanuts and pines has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. The TV show, 60 Minutes did a piece on this exciting new compound as featured in wines a few years ago and set off the craze. There has been quite a bit of research done on Tetrahydroxystilbene as a tumor inhibitor. Here we find this wonderful substance in the Osage Orange and at much higher levels than can be found in red wine!
However, it should be noted that no one herb or tree is simply one isolated compound! An herb is a sum of its many parts and the Osage Orange tree should be considered in that light. You can take out of it tetrahydroxystilbene but there are far too many other synergistic compounds to only religate this tree to just a tetrahydroxystilbene source. It was found in a study below that tetrahydroxystilbene was not very effective against combating the common fungus, Candida albicans. I guarantee one thing! The Osage Orange tree is very resistant to Candida infections! So there is much more to this tree than just tetrahydroxystilbene! The Osage Orange is a soup of many anti-microbial chemicals working together to protect this tree in a way that few trees have ever been protected. It is just not about tetrahydroxystilbene, but because so much research has been done on this one compound, we will concentrate on it below.
There are a number of herbalists and alternative health researchers that will tell you that fungi in its many forms is the true general cause of cancer and other chronic diseases. It may or may not be, but I am sure of one thing, fungi is absolutely underestimated by the medical community in the havoc it can cause in both human and animal pathology. There are few really good, nontoxic antifungals out there for one to use. Osage Orange is one plant that can bring you a very effective non-toxic, antifungal component. There isn't much out there on the Internet on the value of Osage Orange for medicinal purposes. You will run across some people using the hedge apple fruit as the main part of the tree to fight cancer, etc. I doubt seriously they are doing themselves justice by concentrating on just the fruit, though the fruit does contain some unique compounds. As with most medicinal trees, the value is not in the fruit, but found in the leaf or the inner bark of trees. Osage Orange should be no different! Almost without exception in the herbal literature, the inner bark (cambium layer and phloem) contains the most powerful concentration of a plant's chemicals. Compare the Osage to the Olive tree. The olive fruit is unpalatable in its natural state just like the Osage orange ball and both are not the part of the tree generally used in herbal medicine as a remedy. If you want to experiment with Osage Orange, I would suggest either the ethanol extract for oral use or the DMSO extract for topical application in your animals: I am not a commercial producer of tinctures. I just make a quality tincture for my own use and make a little extra on the side. The leaf and the fruits are the easiest components to obtain for medicine making. The heartwood, less so and the inner bark probably the most time consuming of all to collect and process. Prices for Osage Orange tincture will reflect this. You will pay higher prices for the inner bark and heartwood tincture as compared to the fruit and leaf tinctures. Check for availability!
Below Prices and shipping costs are for the USA only:
(for a large multi-item order, write for better shipping costs)
1. Osage Orange Tincture (leaf). . . . . . . produced by a cold ultrasonic maceration extraction process of the fresh leaf in either 80% ethanol or 99+% DMSO. A study has shown the leaf to contain the triterpene Lupine which has shown to have antimicrobial effects, along with deactivating melonoma cells and other cytotoxic activities. The leaf tincture could also likely contain five valuable flavonoids and anti-fungal extracts similar to its close relative, Maclura tinctoria. Its leaf should be of use as a cheap safe means of fighting all antimicrobial infections and melonoma. Bottled in glass with dropper............$12.00 (1 oz) or $20.00 (2 oz)
11. 5 Hz Colloidal Silver solution (12 ppm) . . . . . . .
I think it is agreed upon that both the silver ion and silver nano-particle which is produced in colloidal silver generation is therapeutically effective, but there seems to be an impression out there that the silver nano-particle is more desirable as long as it is small. The purists say that silver ions can not be properly labeled a colloid while silver nano-particles can. All low voltage generators tend to produce mostly a high silver ion / low silver nano-particle content product. This new frequency method seems to produce more nano-particles than the simple low voltage units. My CS solution was crystal clear when finished, but after about a day or more, turned a very pale yellow which to me denotes that the silver nano-particle content was becoming dispersed and producing the yellow color wavelength that the eye could detect. Thus, this formula apparently has a higher silver nano-paricle content than the norm.
This formula is particularly well suited for nebulizing your horses that have biofilm lung infections. My colloidal silver is manufactured using the laptop controlled spooky2 frequency generator that will transmit a special 5 Hz wave as seen to the right into the silver rod electrodes along with low voltage to produce a superior form of colloidal silver. What makes this 5 Hz triangular wave generation so special? Three unique features help this formula produce remarkably high-quality colloidal silver:
1. The computer generated 5 Hz triangular shaped waveform uses pulses of varying amplitude direct current. The amplitude sets the silver particle size drawn off the silver rod. Differing sizes of particles will be drawn off, each nanometers in size. Though both silver ions and nanoparticles fight infections, it is generally believed silver nanoparticles may be superior to silver ions. Most DIY and commercial colloidal silver products tend to have mostly a much higher silver ion ratio to silver nanopartcles.
2. The waveform has a 10% DC offset that speeds up the manufacturing time, but my CS still takes over 48 hours to make for the smallest possible colloidal silver nano-particles. Slow is better!
3. The silver rods do not require cleaning. Swap Waveform inversions will turn the very little silver hydroxide buildup on the anode (+) into plated silver that sediments to the bottom of the container. This prevents contamination of your silver solution.
Plus as a final step, my formula is vacuum micro-filtered to 1 μm or less for the cleanest CS available. Just remember, particle size plays a crucial role in lung deposition, including particle velocity and settling time. As particle size increases above 3 μm, aerosol deposition shifts from the periphery of the lung to the conducting airways. Oropharyngeal deposition increases as particle size increases above 6 μm. Exhaled loss is high with very small particles of 1 μm or less. Consequently, particle sizes of 1-5 μm are best for reaching the lung periphery, where as 5-10 μm particles deposit mostly in the conducting airways, and 10-100 μm particles deposit mostly in the nose.
500 ml bottle........................................................$12.00 (plus shipping costs)
1000 ml bottle........................................................$20.00 (plus shipping costs)
13. Colloidal Zinc . . . . . . . . . . . . . My colloidal zinc is produced in the same 5 Hz frequency generation system as my colloidal silver using distilled water and 99.99% pure zinc rods. I run one liter batches for 48 hours to produce a 5 ppm concentration of the zinc ion. 5 ppm will yield about 0.005mg of zinc ions per gram of zinc ions in one gram of solution. This solution equates to one ml = 1 gram. I use a lab grade conductivity meter with a 1.1 conversion factor to project approximate parts-per-million (ppm) concentrations. It is my view that colloidal zinc is the fastest and most efficient method of administering the zinc ion (Zn 2+) to the mouth and throat structures.
Zinc deficiency in the equine and ourselves may be more of a problem in the United States than many of us imagines. The Horse writes: "An average 1,100-pound (500-kilogram) horse requires a minimum of 400-500 milligrams of Zn in the diet per day. Wheat bran, wheat middlings, and brewer's grains are good Zn sources. Most forages contain low- to marginal Zn concentration. . ." Not only that, but put a horse under stress as most racehorses are, and you get even more demand for Zinc. As far as us humans, one source wrote this: ". . . in the United States, about 12 percent of the population is probably at risk for zinc deficiency, and perhaps as many as 40 percent of the elderly, due to inadequate dietary intake and less absorption of this essential nutrient, experts say."
Dr. George Eby brought to the forefront the value of the right type of supplemental zinc therapy in his work over the last number of years--mostly directed as a common cold preventive. He felt zinc acetate to be the best lozenge material releasing 100% of its zinc ions at pH 7.4 in the mouth. Zinc ions are what has the anti-microbial effect and seems very efficient at the prevention and inhibition of rhinoviruses. Zinc has been found in clinical trials to have a preventive role for the common cold virus as well as lower respiratory tract infection & pneumonia (Cochrane review). Possible other mechanisms may include enhancement of innate & acquired immunity as well as correction of underlying zinc deficiency. The zinc ion in a dose dependent manner works against Escherichia coli with antibacterial activity on Pseudomon asaeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus. Its antimicrobial action may be caused by two mechanisms:
1) membrane destabilization and enhanced permeability of the pathogen's cell wall,
2) interaction with nucleic acids and deactivation of enzymes of the respiratory system.
Dr. Eby writes:
"In vitro, positively charged, ionizable zinc (iZn), but not bound zinc, demonstrates strong anti-rhinovirus activity by inhibiting the normal cleavages by which the viral polypeptides are processed. Ionic zinc inhibits intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1). Ionic zinc increases interferon-gamma (IFN-c) 10-fold. Ionic zinc inhibits the release of histamine and leukotrienes from basophils and mast cells, protects cell-plasma membranes (including mast and goblet cells and has benefit in treating allergy. Ionic zinc also has antiviral effects against other respiratory viruses including herpes virus and respiratory syncytial virus.
1) Chicken pox, shingles (topical 100 to 400 mmol)
2) Post herpetic neuralgia (topical 100 to 400 mmol)
3) Other cardiovascular: blood pressure, platelet aggregation, sickle cell, inflammation, endothelial function, cholesterol, carbonic anhydrase, P.A.D.
5) Menstrual cramps & bloating (30-90 mg/day, start 3 to 4 days before menses)
6) Mononucleosis (3 day cure)
7) Venomous bites and stings (including brown recluse spider bites, bee, yellow jacket, snake, scorpion & Portuguese man of war.
8) Systemic scleroderma (high dose oral)
9) Gangrene (topical, high-dose oral, IV)
10) Small pox (Paris 19th century), bird flu, SARS, hepatitis C, (high-dose oral-IV)
11) Burns and wound healing generally (high-dose oral,topical-IV)
12) Crohn's Disease, leaky gut, and other intestinal inflammatory disorders"
Dr. Eby suggests if one starts immediately in treating the common cold when the first signs are felt in the throat and nose, that the cold can be reduced by 7 days. In other words, use it the 24 hours that it appears in you or your animal, swishing or drenching it in the oral cavity every few hours all day long, then that cold should be stopped in its tracks.
Since zinc ions seem to be the effective form of treatment of which he utilized zinc lozenges to administer zinc ions to the mouth. I say, why not use colloidal zinc where the zinc ions are already in solution and ready to react with the cellular structures of the mouth and throat? Not only that, but colloidal zinc has little objectionable taste problems like many of the zinc bound compounds used in oral lozenges.
Zinc has significant cancer fighting properties. Zui Pan, College of Nursing and Health Innovation at the University of Texas found: "Our study for the first time to our knowledge, reveals that zinc impedes overactive calcium signals in cancer cells, which is absent in normal cells, and thus zinc selectively inhibits cancer cell growth." Zinc deficiency is seen in many cancers. A 2009 study found: "Zinc not only improves cell mediated immune functions but also functions as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. Oxidative stress and chronic inflammation have been implicated in development of many cancers. In patients with head and neck cancer, we have shown that nearly 65% of these patients were zinc deficient based on their cellular zinc concentrations. Natural killer (NK) cell activity and IL-2 generation were also affected adversely. In our patients, zinc status was a better indicator of tumor burden and stage of disease in comparison to the overall nutritional status. Zinc status also correlated with number of hospital admissions and incidences of infections. "
It is said that zinc ions in aqueous solutions have low cell penetrability with action essentially limited to cell surfaces & interstitial spaces. Plus, the cell membrane permeability is reduced by the zinc ions. To this I suspect that supplemented limited DMSO volumes (5-10%) in colloidal zinc solution could help the zinc ion transport across membrane forcing them deeper into the tissues. A 1968 study, On the Effects of DMSO in Cation Transport by Excised Barley Roots, found that "Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) in concentrations of up to 10% by volume stimulates the uptake of zinc by excised barley roots. . ." The same hold true for animal cells. Accordingly, I am offering a Colloidal Zinc Plus formula consisting of 5% DMSO for super absorption.
500ml bottle ........................................US $15.00 + shipping
1000ml bottle..........................................US $25.00 + shipping
500ml bottle + 5% DMSO.......................$20.00 + shipping
1000ml bottle + 5%DMSO........................$35.00 + shipping
Note: If you are overcharged for postage, I will refund you excess or email me for a proper invoice.